Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Real ID situation

So I'm a bit late to the party here folks.

Two days ago, Blizzard announced that they would be attaching Real ID to their forums for Star Craft II (when they were next updated) and the WoW forum a bit after the release of Cataclysm (and of course, the Diablo forums after DIII).

They said it was to reduce trolling, so that people have something attached to their posting so that they cannot not post nearly anonymously.

In the few hours since then, the thread on the WoW forums reached nearly 50,000 responses. Most of these responses came from the same accounts, as there were only 13,000 responders. However, given the huge and immediate response from the population, it is evident that people are not a fan of the plan.

It would not have affected me, as I have never posted on the forums. However, while Real ID works as is, I am not a huge fan. I would very much like to be able to associate a toon-name to my account and share that. Many of my guildies I would probably be comfortable sharing my name with, but it would be very nice if I could ask a random dungeon finder pugee to add Alenena as a cross-realm friend, so that I can talk to other awesome people I meet in pugs, without having to give them my name.

According to How Many of Me there is only one person in the US that shares my full name, which Real ID gives. So, I'd rather not let people I don't know at all have that information.

Anyways, Blizzard recanted that part of the revamping- so its all cool.

Yeah, words.

No comments:

Post a Comment